Languages update

Hello, any update on java ? Codingame is currently running java 11 which was released in 2017. Java 19 was released this week
Please let me train with modern versions :slight_smile:
We need Java 17 as it is the LTS

Thanks!

2 Likes

Really looking for c++20. As far as I see, current g++ version is pretty fresh, it supports almost all proposals from standard, but this functionality must be enabled with -std=c++20 command line option

7 Likes

Hello, I donā€™t know if itā€™s the right place for this topic but I canā€™t think of any other more suited.
I wanted to ask if there was any plan from the team at CodinGame to update the PHP version used on the website. As of now, itā€™s still clearly a 7.x version, whereas the 8.x has been out for more than a year and contains a lot of improvements, including very useful functions used constantly such as str_contains or the possibility to declare and set properties directly inside a class constructor parameters for instance.

PS : Iā€™ve started on CodinGame last weekend and have been on it every day after work since, and also convinced two coworkers to create an account too. I love it, itā€™s great to improve my skills and to train for tech interviews !

2 Likes

Hope dies lastā€¦
For some reason, PHP was left out from the last two language update rounds, so it is still on v7.3. By November when v8.2 is out, it will be already 4 major versions behind.

I know it is no consolation, but there are other languages lagging behind the same way, i.e. Java 8. And on codewars you can solve some puzzles only on php v7.0 (phewā€¦).

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer, crossing fingers that it will be updated at some point then, cause 7.0ā€¦ that hurts ^^

Hello, we just updated .NET languages (.NET 6.0.9):

• C# 10.0
  • F# 6.0
  • VB 16.9

(and Kotlin to 1.7.10)

6 Likes

How the hell does c#, kotlin get updated to latest but java doesnā€™t even get updated to the latest LTS? ā€¦

Java has been updated in the past, but the newer version caused a lot of timeouts that couldnā€™t be fixed (Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better) so it was rolled back.

that was a year ago tho, has this issue still not been fixed?

Still so much garbage to collect.

3 Likes

That also means the static main method and its class can be completely ommitted. New horizons for codegolfing in C#ā€¦ Rubyists shall tremble in fear :slight_smile:

1 Like

On the Java issue, is it possible or desirable to let Java 8 and the latest LTS version of Java coexist? Existing code would still use Java 8 to avoid breakages, while developers would be able to choose between the two versions in the new code they submit. This could effectively shift the burden of solving the timeout issue from CG to the developers.

1 Like

With GCC 11 implementing most every part of C++20 and parts of C++23, is it unreasonable to update the standard option to c++20 (or even c++2b)?

3 Likes

Please add Java 17. :pleading_face:
It is truly embarrassing to be forced to downshift the code to the almost 10 years old version :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

There will be always missing languages or lagging behind versions, I know we have to live with it. However I suggest CG to make and commit for a roadmap, and communicate it. Being more transparent would improve community satisfaction and would reduce requests hereā€¦
For example:

"A general language update happens once a year, in each September. 
That time we strive to update all languages to the latest stable version.
Due to technical issues, exceptions can be made.
Interim updates for a limited number of languages can happen, 
but only based on our commercial  requirements, so pls do not ask here.
More languages  will be added only on a case-by-case basis,
but only based on our commercial requirements, so pls do not ask here.

ā€¦ or something along these linesā€¦

Above is NOT the CG policy, just a mere suggestion from a community member!

4 Likes

From what I heard their architecture makes language updates difficult. Something like all languages installed in the same OS, so if you upgrade one then you break another.

Iā€™m not sure about this, but if true, maybe some visibility into when this might get fixed would be nice.

Not sure if this is the correct place to write, but is there a way to contribute to adding a new language? I would specifically like to see Racket and wouldnā€™t mind contributing to whatever setup code needs to go around it.

2 Likes

Any chance to get Python updated to 3.11 with Numba package added in order to boost its performance and allow a more fair competition with compiled languages?

fair competition

:rofl:
Itā€™s a tricky subject.

1 Like

Any chance of some language updates before the next competition?

A lot of languages really need an update.

My personal interests as in rust where a lot of improvements have happened since the last update, I regularly find my code wonā€™t run on codinggame now as it is using things that donā€™t exist in 1.60. We also really need to compile with edition = ā€œ2021ā€

5 Likes