New Home, Ranking and Experience features

Is it possible to keep levels/xp AND use them as cp in global ranking (as it was before)?

Everything is possible but this wouldn’t make much more sense considering what G_Rom explained. The leaderboard is here to compare codingamers who play multiplayer games. If you’re interested in solo puzzles only, I think there’s no point in bothering about it.

2 Likes

dear CG, is it possible to consult a page with the number of gamers per XP level ?

for example :
lvl 32 : 1
lvl 31 : 0
lvl 30 : 0
lvl 29 : 6
etc…

1 Like

In hindsight it seems like most of the complaints here could have been avoided if codinPoints would have been renamed to “multiPoints” (or something like that). CodinPoints of the old system would have just been split into xp/multiPoints and the general leaderboard would have been renamed multi leaderboard (or something like that).

This would still be exactly the same system that we currently have (with different names), but would prevented complaints à la “I had more codinPoints than I have now and I was ranked higher in the same leaderboard than I am now, so you guys stole my hard earned codinPoints”.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, please let us know what that discussion on our feedback concludes.

Especially concerning:

. The rank names: current system is not coherent, in the real world the words “Guru”, “Master”, “Mentor” and so on refer to the experience of a person, not on its ranking among its peers. So, to be really meaningful, in CG rank names should be attributed according to the XP of the player, not according to its ranking. Another option is to rename them, or to remove this concept.

. The possibility to have a leaderboard for people interested in solo puzzles only. This activity is key to lot of people here and to most newcomers. It deserves its own leaderboard and this is quite simple to implement.

2 Likes

I suggest to rename the “Guru” rank into “Magus” rank. It will be far more revelant this way.

1 Like

Not really relevant, since Royale will soon be first again :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d like to see an XP history, similar to how Stack Overflow provides a reputation history timeline. I believe that I had about 880 XP towards level 28 when I left yesterday. This morning, I have 928 XP towards the next level. I don’t know how I acquired almost 50 XP magically, overnight. Not important, but I’m curious!

• danBhentschel
3 Likes

It’s actually on our test server and should be released soon :wink:

1 Like

Caveat: I haven’t read the entire thread

I just wanted to give feedback that my motivation to do any single player puzzles has gone to zero with this change. The only reason I worked on single player puzzles was to improve my rank. Now that single player puzzles don’t count towards my rank I don’t really see a point in doing them.

I don’t really understand the reasoning that single player skill level cannot be compared to other players on the site and is not a measure of skill at all. If your goal is to increase engagement, I imagine this change will be a big failure (at least amongst the experienced player who have compiled a lot of XP).

3 Likes

It should be ready for the next week, we just need to tweak some wording.

1 Like

I don’t agreee with the arguments that the solo puzzles are not worth ranking.

In each aspect of CoG - solo, competitions, clash etc, there will be people who can dedicate lots of time to it and those who can give less time. None has anything resembling a ‘level’ playing field. Yet the argument being made is that mult-player games are worth ranking whilst solo is not - this makes no sense to me.

I do not have more than a few hours each week to spend on codinGame, so I can’t possibly be competitive in the competitions. I haven’t tried clash of code but it looks as if the winner will always be the one with a pre-made solution to paste in? If so that looks like a pointless exercise to me (perhaps I’m mis-understanding but anyway the concept does not appeal to me).

This leaves the solo puzzles as my reason for being on this site - and I get really motivated by being competitive about it.

So really why not have a ranking? I think there must be many people like me, and I know I will use the site less -if at all- now that I’m not motivated by having a ladder to climb. (and no - filtering the leaderboard and trauling through multiple pages just to see my current position is not satisfactory - I wan’t to be able to show people and put it on my CV etc)

Anyway CoG team, I and many others have given you a good reason to include the feature, and I have not heard a good reason not to include the feature - so the choice is yours.

Thank you for a great site,
Russ.

1 Like

While I agree on the point made on Clash of Code (which is a recurring problem, and several persons have been complaining about that), I beg to disagree on the solo part.

One of the problem of the solo puzzles is that, by now, a simple google search can give you access to some githubs where people have already solved all the problems … And I find it problematic to rank a website when solutions are already available on the net :confused:

The other part is : you can totally be competitive on multiplayer games even if you don’t have lots of hours to spend. Not necessarily on contests (that takes lots of time), but on AI battles, you can slowly improve and get better a few step at a time. Optimisation and golfing is another side of ranking, you can gain lots of points by doing the optimisation problems, which are solo problems.

Finally, I think the middle ground between including solos in the global leaderboard and nothing at all would be the ranking by level (as was suggested before : knowing how many other players have the same level as you) and making a “simili-leaderboard” by levels.

2 Likes

There’s nothing preventing that from happening with multiplayer problems, is there? The solo puzzles have simply had an early start.

2 Likes

JBM - good point.

When I started here it was partly to help me get a job - and employers at the time could pay to see user solutions. If they interviewed you they would no doubt be asking about your solutions so copy/pasting from the internet would’ve been a very poor idea.

There isn’t anything now in any part of the site (other than the short time span of the competitions) that protects against a copy/paster - except one’s personal dignity of course!

I don’t think this will happen. The difference for me is that in multiplayer games, sharing your code might put your ranking at risk (because someone would be able to reproduce what you did and improve it) whereas there is no risk at all in sharing single player puzzles.

1 Like

Well, if the puzzles are took into account for the ranking, sharing the solution put also your ranking at risk…

1 Like

If you compare on an element by element basis, then the other player (in the worst case for you) will have the same score as you do.

1 Like

I’m not following you Aveuh.

If I make public all my solo code, someone can copy/paste it and (if the solo is ranked) get the same score as me (which I think is very bad news - but you don’t seem to think that is?)

If I make public all my best AI code, someone can copy/paste it and get the same score as me (which I think is very bad news - and you agree?)

Can you clarify?

1 Like

Oh I’m sorry I was unclear ! No you are right, I totally think both are really bad !
But one is risky (sharing multi code) in my opinion while the other is less (sharing a solo).

In both case I find it kinda lame to share your code. I totally understand wanting to share solutions, but it is kind of a game breaker for the solo puzzles.

1 Like